Split Pea Soup
This soup makes a great wholesome lunch as high in protein. It is super easy to make even if you are not that experienced in the kitchen. This takes an hour and a half to cook so ensure you have some free time.
Ingredients (serves 6)
2 cups of split peas
6-8 cups of vegetable stock (less stock will make it a thicker soup)
1 onion chopped
1 carrot chopped
Salt and pepper
Sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Place split peas, chopped onion, carrot, salt and pepper in a large saucepan.
- Make stock by boiling water and mixing it with vegetable stock cube. Add stock to pan and mix.
- Heat to boiling point and then turn down the heat and cover with lid. You want the soup to simmer slowly on low heat for 1 and a half hours. Stir occasionally to ensure not drying up and add boiling water if soup too thick.
- Soup is ready when the peas are mushy. Remove from heat and use a stick blender to puree soup or if you prefer leave it chunky.
- Top with pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
- Serve with a salad and enjoy.
Soup can be frozen for use later.
Need help with planning your meals or making better choices at the supermarket?